Join AmeriCorps VISTA in the fight against poverty
Since 1965, over 220,000 AmeriCorps members in the VISTA program have joined the fight against poverty by helping local organizations expand their capacity to make change. The VISTA program serves in each of the 50 U.S. states and in all U.S. territories.
Through capacity building activities such as fundraising, grant writing, research, and volunteer recruitment AmeriCorps members in the VISTA program serve in an office setting and gain experience and leadership skills. This opportunity prepares members for a life of service in the public, private, or nonprofit sector.
Apply and join thousands of AmeriCorps members in the AmeriCorps VISTA program who are united in our mission to lift people and communities out of poverty.
Members serving in the AmeriCorps VISTA program serve full time for one-year terms. They build capacity in nonprofit organizations and public agencies to help them more effectively generate the commitment of private sector resources, encourage volunteer service at the local level, and empower individuals and communities.
Leaders work to expand and build the capacity of individual members serving in the AmeriCorps VISTA program at their service sites. Leaders have previously served a full term of full-time service with any AmeriCorps program or with Peace Corps and have demonstrated exemplary skills and leadership in community service.
The AmeriCorps VISTA Summer Associate program offers individuals the opportunity to become engaged in a community through an existing AmeriCorps VISTA project for 8, 9, or 10 weeks during the summer starting in May and ending no later than early September.
Some examples of service include:
- Supporting vaccine distribution
- Helping to close the gap on summer learning loss
- Distributing food to struggling children and families
- Recruiting, training, and coordinating community-based volunteers
Summer Associates receive similar benefits as members serving one-year terms, including:
- Living Allowance – a modest living allowance to cover basic expenses
- End of Service Award – members can choose between a Segal Education Award to pay for a range of education expenses or a cash stipend
To apply, search for Summer Associate opportunities by selecting the AmeriCorps VISTA program and summer in the Service Terms options list to review available positions.
Interested in serving with AmeriCorps VISTA? Join us for a webinar for more information. Webinars are offered twice monthly. Choose your date and register to get the basics.
Members receive a modest bi-weekly living allowance to cover basic expenses.
|Professional Development Training
Members have the opportunity to attend in-person and virtual training to learn how to be a community development change agent.
|Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE)
AmeriCorps VISTA is the only AmeriCorps program that allows members to earn federal non-competitive eligibility, giving members an edge in the federal hiring process.
|End of Service Award
Members can choose between a Segal Education Award (valued at approximately $6,495) to pay for a range of education expenses or a $1,800 cash stipend.
- Be 18 years or older (no upper age limit)
- Hold one of the following citizenship or legal residency statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. Green Card status), and persons legally residing within a state. Examples of persons legally residing within a state may include those holding the following classifications: refugee, asylee, temporary protected status throughout VISTA service, and holding Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status.
How to apply
1. Research opportunities
Visit the MyAmeriCorps portal to begin your search. Find the program, location, and time commitment that fits you.Begin your search
2. Create a profile
Input required information and complete registration, then get started on your application.Create your profile
3. Create an application
Input personal and professional information. You will need two references to complete your application.Start application
4. Submit your application
Once you complete your application, go back to the opportunities you want to apply for and submit your application. You can submit the same application to multiple opportunities.Apply today
Need help with the application? Contact the National Service Hotline at 1-800-942-2677.