The Senior Companion Program provides grants to organizations with a dual purpose: to engage persons 55 years and older, particularly those with limited incomes, in volunteer service to meet critical community needs; and to provide a high quality experience that will enrich the lives of the volunteers. The AmeriCorps Seniors volunteers in this program provide supportive, individualized services to help older adults with special needs maintain their dignity and independence.
Senior Companion Programs connect volunteers to seniors living independently.
Examples of Senior Companion Programs
|Befriending older adults and assisting with daily living tasks at a supportive housing program|
|Providing supportive services such as transportation to appointments, assistance with grocery shopping, and cooking meals|
AmeriCorps Seniors Volunteers
- Grantees recruit individuals for this program who are 55 years and older
- Volunteers for this program serve as friends and companions to older neighbors, making sure they can live in their own homes for as long as possible.
- Volunteers are eligible to receive a stipend for their volunteering if they meet income eligibility requirements.
If you are part of a national or local nonprofit, school, government agency, faith-based or community organization, you can apply for resources through one of our programs.
Responsibilities and Expectations of Grantees
- Develop strategies that respond to community needs using AmeriCorps Seniors volunteers
- Ensure resources are focused on critical problems affecting the elderly and other adults with special needs
- Recruit volunteers
- Manage and place volunteers in local organizations
How to Apply
1. Determine If Your Organization Is Located in an Area Where Funding is Available
AmeriCorps Seniors periodically holds competitions in certain Geographic Service Areas to expand the Senior Companion Program.
2. Submit an Application Online
Use eGrants to submit an application. The application will ask for organization information, narratives about the project, budget information, performance measures, and supporting documentation.